Why Is My Check Engine Light On?
If you own a car or truck, chances are you have experienced the check engine light illuminating at some point. The reasons for this can range from a loose gas cap to a malfunctioning transmission. It is one of the most varied indicators in your vehicle. While many causes for the light are relatively trivial, a few can quickly run up a major bill. The skilled mechanics at Coopers Auto Repair Specialists can help identify the issue and keep you safe on the road.
Troubleshooting the Problem
When you bring your vehicle to a mechanic, they will plug in a computer that can download information about the problem. This helps quickly isolate which system caused the light to illuminate.
Worst Case Scenarios
Many of the problems that cause a check engine light are less serious (nonetheless, they should promptly be addressed before they get worse). However, the following issues involve major fixes:
- Transmission Replacement: Transmission problems are among the worst (most expensive) reasons for a check engine light to turn on. If they are particularly bad, the solution may be a full replacement. This can run several thousand dollars, depending on the vehicle and part costs.
- Hybrid Inverter Assembly: If you have a hybrid vehicle, this problem can cause it to be totaled. It can run around $4,000 for a repair. When combined with any other issues, this often causes people to have to buy a new vehicle.
- Gas Mass Sensor: This sensor plays a vital role in ensuring that your vehicle is receiving the right fuel/air mixture. It may cause your car or truck to run rich at idle or lean with the throttle open. Repairing it is often several thousand dollars.
- Supercharger: This mechanical air compressor helps your car or truck make more power with less fuel. If you have a vehicle with one, the cost of repairs can increase rapidly.
- Hybrid/EV Battery: Your hybrid or EV battery can cost a few thousand to over $10,000 to replace depending on the model. Fortunately, it is often possible to replace a few cells rather than the whole battery.
Get Your Check Engine Light Issues Repaired
If you are in the Tacoma area and have a check engine light on, come to Coopers Auto Repair Specialists. We provide reliable, professional, and affordable services, even on the most severe issues. Visit us on 103rd Street East or schedule an appointment online.